Saturday, March 12, 2016

Letter To A 13 Year Old Boy On His Birthday


Dear D,

My name is Rob, I know your father. He is a good man and though I don't know you I know he loves you and is a strong man of God. You should be proud to have him as a dad.

I am writing you on your birthday to let you know that this is an important time in your life as a boy who is becoming a man. There are many boys your age who, for one reason or another, do not have a father in their life. You may even know some. It is hard not having a father. It leaves a hole, whether a young boy realizes it or not.

My dad was an important part of my life growing up. He helped me get my first job delivering newspapers when I was 13. He taught me about how to be wise with my money that I was earning, how to save, and how to invest. He taught me how to tie a tie, ride a bike, and set up a tent. He was always there for me when I needed him. He showed me the closest thing to how God loves us by loving me unconditionally, even when I made mistakes.

There are a few things I'd like to say and a few pieces of advice I'd like to share that I hope you will remember:

Firstly, take care of your body, and treat it with respect, since it is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Being active is good--things like hiking, running, playing sports. It is good training for learning how to endure discomfort, which you will need, along with God's grace, to resist sinful temptations. A man does not grow strong physically unless his pushes and works his body, and a man does not grow spiritually unless he prays and reads his bible daily.

Secondly, always remember that Jesus walks with you. Tell him what you are going through--when things are good and when they are not so good. Cast your cares on Him, for he cares for you.

Thirdly, choose your friends wisely, and don't follow the crowd. If you know something is not right, being a man means standing up and not going along with it. You know what is right, because your dad has taught you. Many people know what is right but don't do it. A man knows what is right and also does what is right in God's eyes, even when it costs him.

Finally, you will make mistakes in life; it is part of learning. A man learns from his mistakes and does his best not to repeat them. He listens to advice and takes guidance, especially from his dad, because your dad probably went through a lot of the same things you are going through.


I hope you have a great birthday, and know that I will be praying for you. You will be a great man of God!


Rob



No comments:

Post a Comment