Tuesday, March 20, 2018

You Visited Me

Received my first letter back from the inmate I've started corresponding with. His name is John.

I'm thankful I grew up at least half-out of the era of email, texting and technology. I still have a box full of letters I wrote and received over the years in college and after college--lined paper, envelope, stamps and all. I saved them all and often would make carbons or at least retype my letters to others. 

There's something exciting about getting a letter in the mail. Like getting your film developed. I would always make a cup of tea and sit down and carefully tear open the envelope and read and re-read what was written. You know the person writing took time and care, because it was by hand and usually thoughtful, they had to go to the trouble to mail it, buy a stamp, etc. I tend to forget (or at least take for granted) that when we hear the Word of God in the Epistles in the New Testament, we are listening to the recitation of a letter--letters formally composed with thought, care, and divine inspiration, and sent to particular communities.

Dorothy Day and St. Teresa of Calcutta were a big influence for me in learning how to "approach" the poor, the infirm, the forgotten, our enemies, those in prison: We should do so as if approaching Christ the King Himself, who comes to us in this life under guise. Take Matthew 25 *literally*. Take the works of mercy *literally*. Remember the words in 1 John 3:18: "Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth." It gives you new eyes, an incarnated spirituality, and allows you to view those who the world has forgotten and who are thorns in your side as God's V.I.P.s. What an exciting honor to serve the King of Kings, as Christ humbled himself and gave us an example in the washing of his disciple's feet and showed us how to live as his followers. We can't always do big things. But sometimes we can do little things.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make some tea. Please keep John in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment