Saturday, March 14, 2020

"The Spirit of God Left Him:" When Mental Illness and Demonic Obsession Meet

Last night as I was helping my son prepare for his first Confession, and we were going through an examination of conscience in his St. Joseph First Communion book, I realized I have been a little sloppy in my own EOCs. I have a bad memory, and yet I don't write my sins down typically. I go through a general Examination of Conscience in my head, but not in fine detail. When I do go to Confession, I don't withhold anything intentionally, but cover myself with "for all these sins and those sins I can't remember, I humbly beg pardon, penance, and absolution" on account of my forgetfulness.

But last night I decided to join my son in writing down my sins, and using a more thorough Examination of Conscience. I said we would burn the papers in the outdoor fireplace together after we finished making our Confessions and received absolution (which we did). There is something about writing down sins, and confessing them with the lips, that makes it real in a way, something I think many Protestants miss out on without the benefit of the Sacrament. The taste of holy shame on our lips as the words are spoken, like a burning crimson ember, turns to sweetness when the Lord extinguishes it with a breath in absolution. Then we are filled with the Holy Spirit to begin our lives anew, white robes and all, ready to die and ready to live.

In digging deeper last night than I normally might, I unearthed some sins that I may have confessed and been forgiven of, but which still haunted me because I did not perhaps lay them out in as much detail as was warranted, given how shameful they were (I should mention that I do not struggle with scrupulosity, OCD, or feeling unforgiven).

Of course, those sins are for the Lord's eyes only, and I do not plan to go into detail about them. But it was from a chapter in my life in which, I believe, I actually went through a mild form of demonic obsession that coincided with a period of acute diagnosed mental illness. In fact, I speculate that it was not being in a state of grace that opened up a spiritual wound which got infected, and my mind was leveraged against me during this period by demonic forces.

I am very careful in sharing my own testimonies of God's grace and redemption, my particular struggles, and trying to do so for the glory of God. Not because I am afraid to share some personal things, but because I don't want to generalize what I have experienced as a proscription for others. My situation is unique in some ways and ordinary in others; I would hope relatable on some fronts, and maybe particular to my circumstances on others.

This can be a very difficult area in which to tread because of symptomatic overlap. It needs to be stated that mental illness is usually in its own diagnostic category (psychiatric) and that spiritual issues should be dealt with spiritually (via the sacraments, confession, consultation with clergy and spiritual directors, etc).

It is when spiritual malaise and mental malaise intersect in a kind of Venn diagram of illness that it can be very difficult to discern root causes and treatments. Some fundamentalists will put forth that mental illness is a sin problem, not a mind problem; Psychiatric professionals would purport that there is no spiritual element to strictly neurological or psychiatric conditions. I think both are not entirely accurate. There are spiritual elements at play, as well as biological/neurological/psychiatric. The intersection is where it gets muddy.

A passage from scripture that has always stayed with me because of it's frightful imagery appears in 1 Samuel 16:14

"Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord terrorized him." 

And later in 1 Sam 19:9-10:

"But an evil spirit from the Lord came on Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand. While David was playing the lyre, Saul tried to pin him to the wall with his spear, but David eluded him as Saul drove the spear into the wall."

We know, that when we commit moral sin, the spirit of God departs from us, as it did to Saul. We are spiritually naked and out in the wind, so to speak, vulnerable and in danger of damnation. I was very much in a state of mortal sin prior to the onset of my first severe psychiatric episode. When the episode itself hit like a tidal wave (acute mania followed by psychosis), the spiritual vulnerability was leveraged in obsessive religiosity.

But it was not the holy kind. In fact, there were unmentionable instances of blatant blasphemy that I was driven to, not unlike Saul being driven by an evil spirit to pin David to the wall with a spear. I cannot use the illness itself to release me from the hook, though it may have mitigated culpability to an extent. But because I was not in a state of grace (my choice, my will, my volition), I had made a home for demons to dwell and force my hand against the Lord God, my Savior himself. Part of me would say today, "I did not know what I was doing." But that was the scary part. Who was moving my will? Who was forcing my hand? Who was throwing the spear? There was no grace in me--I was spiritually dead. And so in that vacuum, a nest was made.

In recounting my past sins of such blasphemy--which I had confessed before but which now seemed so grievous that I'm not sure I confessed them in the amount of detail that should have been warranted--I was able to verbalize in shame, feeling the burn, and rooting out the vestiges of straw and bark from the nest itself. I may not have been in my right mind, but I was not in a right spirit either, and that I had brought on myself through disobedience. The danger was acute. I was driven to the brink of suicide in the ensuing crash following these psychic highs, in which I had visions of "a black man, a shadow figure, a faceless one, wearing a hat and calling me to another side" from which only God's merciful grace (of which I had not merit to) kept me from crossing over to.

Part of "tripping into" this state of moral desolation in which the spirit of God is not living within a person (mortal sin) is so commonplace today, I fear for the vulnerability of the mind of those going through it, including my own. Which is why I am so careful, and so grateful, to have been shown (by grace) what needs to be avoided, and what needs to be embraced, to be in a state of grace. Because I truly believe that a state of grace is what fortifies my mind against unwelcome guests, the same spirits that afflicted Saul and drove him mad. I have had no symptoms of psychiatric malaise, despite a severe and verified clinical diagnosis, in almost ten years, and I attribute this in part due to that indwelling grace that was not killed off by mortal sin.

But I am acutely aware, too, that I need to be vigilant about the scummy buildup of venial sins on my soul that can make me and others more susceptible to mortal sin. Again, this is not a matter of obsession or scrupulosity, but tempered periodic soul scrubbing by the Divine Physician himself every few weeks in the Church's gift of the Sacrament of Confession. As I have stated in past conversations and writings, I still attend to the psychiatric preconditions necessary to stay healthy (medication, exercise, diet, sleep, doctor's visits, etc) to keep that "control group" in check. If I'm psychologically healthy and spiritually in trouble, the one can affect the other. Both are within my power, to a degree, due to the grace of baptism (the will) and knowledge (knowing what I need to do to stay healthy) so we don't have a repeat episode of what happened fifteen years ago. I don't every want to go through that again, while never wanting to forget the abomination of desolation that was my soul when not in a state of grace, and a nest of demons living in my inner being compelling me to act contrary to the virtues by the forcing and misappropriation of my mind and will. It is so very dangerous to give them any footing in the soul, which is why I try to be vigilant in staying close under the mantle of Our Lady and with the Cross every before my eyes. I know what's at stake, and the mind is an existential battleground where war is waged, a war against my very self, which I am not strong enough to withstand on my own. Without grace, I am doomed. If the Spirit of God leaves me, I am indeed a mad man in the making, hunting down the pious servants of God with deranged eyes, seeking to pin them to the wall with jagged spears, to crucify the saints and betray Christ himself. I can't afford that. So, I hope you will forgive me for treating the stakes very high in this battlefield of the mind. May God be praised, may His Holy Name be praised, that He extinguishes the burning ember of shame and we might taste the sweet fragrance of divine forgiveness, and be welcomed back into His friendship, restored to a right spirit, and a sound mind.

10 comments:

  1. This was well written and God has clearly given you the language of knowledge. In your article on spiritualdirection.com you mentioned bipolar as well as staying in a Rosicrucians' hermit cave, being overcome by the evil spirits there. They were occultists and the property likely a serpents pit all these centuries later. People are generally unaware that being in mortal sin renders one completely open to infestation without a person overtly making a pact or even acknowledging the spirits. This can happen to those without mortal sin too for the act of putting oneself in harmful situations is one of pride, and our pride is the door opener for evil to walk in. Your articles give all of us oportunity to reflect upon times we may have placed ourselves in spiritual harm so we can have those honest conversations with God that lead to Divine intimacy with Him. God bless you and your loved ones and thank you for your witness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you never went through what you went through you would have never experienced the beautiful Mercy of God. Praise be to God indeed, and thank you for your witness to Mercy. Jesus I trust in Thee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article. sadly, as mentioned, many don't even realize what's happening where today immorality is everywhere and it's probably likely more-and-more people are in a state of mortal sin. then you got psychiatrists who don't acknowledge the spiritual side of things so their treatment can only go so far like mentioned in this article.

    but in the end, as Jesus said, "Without Me you can do nothing". ill just say one critical area people simply CANNOT ignore is regular/daily prayer, as without that it's like trying to do things on our own, it won't end well since without it it's like trying to use our own strength where as with prayer it gives us strength from God to live in accord with His ways. one could sum up prayer like this... oxygen is to the body as prayer is to the soul.

    I strongly recommend praying The Holy Rosary daily as it works wonders against serious sin which it removed a certain one (impure thought/action) specifically from my life 100% that I thought was impossible to escape. it occurred about two and a half to three months after praying it daily (this was in late 2013). but like the 3rd promise of The Holy Rosary says, "The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies." and the 'destroy vice' part is what happened for me and was clear proof that prayer really does work. but most of the time what we pray for we might not be able to see the results, but after that happened for me, I just know it's working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% see
      https://fatherofthefamily.blogspot.com/2016/10/me-my-weapon.html?m=1

      Delete
  4. The Rosary, absolutely! May I humbly recommend my own book, reviews on the back cover include one by Fr. Don Calloway: https://www.amazon.com/Mary-Relationship-Dragons-Keith-Berube/dp/1952464013

    One other weapon: the cord of St Philomena, it is super powerful. Her cord is known to seriously decrease temptations to impurity. She is a wonder worker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very right in your summation of the situation you endured. I saw a friend suffer in such a way for years with a mental condition until one day I realized that something else was going on - that the demonic had entered the picture and keeping this good person in darkness and despair. I took the person to a healing mass hoping for spiritual help and grace for them. On the way to the church, we had a minor accident and a man approached and offered to be a witness. I realized we were being prevented from going on. We drove to the church and after the mass my friend was seen by the priest who looked at them and said "I know who you are" and proceeded don a stole, had a spray bottle of holy water, and proceeded to spray the person with it, pray over them in words I could not understand for more than hour, during which my friend uttered the most vile words I could never imagine they knew or ever heard them utter before. After a while, my friend became quiet and the priest gave me blessed salt and advised me to sprinkle it under and around their bed and home. He had been told before proceeding that my friend had been in hospital and on medication for years. After finishing his prayers his advice was to take my friend to the hospital to see a doctor. After getting to the house, my friend asked if we wanted a cup of tea and toast. We were still shaken by what we witnessed and ready to get some things together and get them to the hospital. The invitation to tea at 11.00pm was astonishing. We went inside and my friend proceeded to make tea and toast, carry on a normal conversation, took their medication, said a good night and went to bed. Needless to say I had a very alert night wondering what the morning would bring. My friend arrived downstairs, had a good breakfast and was never admitted to a hospital again (it's been more than 40 years) My friend continues on medication,sees a catholic psychiatrist and has a fairly normal life. My friend go to Confession, Mass,Communion, Adoration and participate in parish event. Such is God's mercy. Thank you for your testimony and god br with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a story. Thank you for sharing. Powerful example of God's grace and mercy, how He sets the captives free.

      Delete
  6. I think of those minors who are driven to murder their family members or classmates and always speak of voices who are relentless in pushing them to commit those crimes. I remember reading of one case in which the teenage boy wept with his juvenile prison warden saying that the voices would not leave him alone. This demonic reality does not excuse their actions. Yet, if only the adults in their environment - and Catholic hopefully who can help them best - would approach these troubled minors and help them. Mental illness and demonic oppression together can certainly be a reality in the lives of souls.

    ReplyDelete