Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Soliciting Your Assistance

 


A few years ago I was referencing the (1995) Catechism of the Catholic Church and came across the following, which made me go, "Hm, that seems weird but okay": 


841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day." (emphasis mine)


Fundamentally, the question is "Do Catholics and Muslims worship the same God?" And I thought to myself, "Well, we know the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is YHWH, the God whom Jesus called Father, so we share a religious patrimony with the Jews, though they do not know the Father because they do not know the Son (1 Jn 2:23).  And we know the shoot who is Christ comes from the Davidic stump of Jesse, the God of the Torah is not a "different God" from the first Person of the Trinity, and that Jesus was the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecy throughout the Old Testament, Emmanuel, God with us. 

But Muslims? There's is a Christian heresy. We have no patrimony with them. They are human brothers, but enemies of the Cross, and unredeemed (though God's plan and invitation for salvation extends to them as well).

So, back to the CCC. Is this a matter of semantics, carefully worded language that honors a distinct religious tradition and affirming a degree of commonality? Or is it patently a "reimagining" or reframing that gives more weight to ecumenical brotherhood over plainly spoken clarity about this theological question?

A kind of delayed cognitive dissonance ensued, which I shelved for a while until a friend called this morning asking about this issue, as his son attends an otherwise orthodox school but whose teacher purported to the class that "Catholics and Muslims worship the same God"...and pointed to the CCC to back up the assertion. 

When my friend's son said, "I don't think that's correct," the teacher would not allow him to take it further, but instead put the onus on my friend's son to "cite his sources" proving otherwise. He hasn't had the opportunity to do so yet, which is where you, dear reader, come in.

I told my friend most traditional Catholics would not source the new Catechism and would instead refer to the Catechism of Trent for Catholic teaching. It also highlights one of the multitude of issues the Second Vatican Council has introduced beyond just liturgy that I, like many others, are starting to wake up to (side note: I loved this piece at USC on "liturgical innocence" posted today. Do yourself a favor and check it out. It speaks the words I could never articulate since experiencing and moving over to the usus antiquior)

I also mentioned to him that it is disconcerting, and tends to undermine my confidence, that we reference the 1995 CCC so much as Catholics....but is it really the teaching of the Catholic Church in "updated" language...or is it something altogether new?

So, that's a little disconcerting, and as someone who was catechized with the new Catechism (and honestly not altogether familiar with the Catechism of Trent) I realize I have a lot of catching up to do to reorient in the faith of our fathers. 

So, I'm asking for your assistance. Can you share (in the comments) if you have knowledge on this subject, some source material to refute this teacher of my friend's son who claims that Christians and Muslims "worship the same God?" I look forward to learning and being enlightened as well. 


Deo Gratias. Deus Vult!

10 comments:

  1. This seems to me to be one of those things that if you think one way you are not going to be convinced to the other side. The passage they don't know the father because they don't know me comes to mind. Believing that we all worship the same God would lead you down some interesting rabbit holes of indifferentism. Anyone who says otherwise is drinking the V2 cult Kool Aid.

    Regarding citations what about the catholic encyclopedia article on muslims or some saints writings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron. I've referenced New Advent quite a bit in the past but for me it's like trying to eat a loaf of dry bread without a glass of water to go with it. I'm a dunce! But good source info there as well I should go check out.

      Delete
    2. JOHN 4: 21 Jesus saith to her: Woman, believe me, that the hour cometh, when you shall neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, adore the Father. 22 You adore that which you know not: we adore that which we know; for salvation is of the Jews.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Teresa, I appreciate the links and will pass on to my friend. There are probably more theological layers to this issue, and I am a fan of Feser's work so will check out his post as well. I do think Jews and Muslims are not in the same category, though, in the sense that we share a religious patrimony with the Jews, despite the fact that both groups are monotheists.

    I think the larger underlying issue as well (which I was discussing with my friend on the phone yesterday) is the divide between how traditionalists and non-traditionalist (there's that pesky qualifier again!) Catholics read, interpret, give credence to conciliar documents, and what they consider binding that cover issues such as this, not to mention issues like how they view the Mass ("The Mass is a sacrifice" vs "It's about Jesus in the Eucharist"). So, depending on if one has more traditional leanings as a Catholic they might have a different answer for you.

    It's good to get pushed and wrestle with these issues, though, so I'm taking it as an opportunity myself to brush up on my theology as well.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the difference always comes down to the Trinity. Our God has been, is, and always be a Trinity. Their god is not.

    Dr. Hahn does a great job outlining that here. The whole talk is worth a listen, but the short version hits the point.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9yFAqpgfXo&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'll pass this along to my friend, and try to watch as well.

      Delete
  4. Cardinal Burke is of the opinion that Muslims do not worship the same God as Christians: https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/index.php/component/k2/item/3238-cardinal-burke-sets-record-straight-muslims-and-christians-do-not-worship-same-god

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book years ago that did a great job explaining Islam:

    Not Peace But a Sword: The Great Chasm Between Christianity and Islam by Robert Spencer.

    I remember him saying that the revelation Mohamad received came from a "spirit" in a cave and the author theorized that it was a real spirit but was possibly a demon. And that the Koran was a jumble of the Hebrew bible's stories re-written to paint Islamic beliefs in a better light and change anything he didn't like or no longer wanted to promote.

    Now, there are some shared beliefs and values and the Natural Law is written on the hearts of the faithful followers of God, even among those who were born into non-Christian religions, so it may be that the Islamic religion teaches a DISTORTED view of the same God (and there is only one God) and so when the individuals worship or pray and if their heart is aligned with the goodness and truth of natural law, I'd say, yes it is to God, but it's through a very distorted filter of Him.

    What I don't know is if they are doing evil, or praying for evil, but thinking it's "good" if they are themselves evil or bad or of they are just mistaken due to the distorted teachings? And how God would judge them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. First my granddaughter became muslim. (she married a man from Algieria) . Then my daughter (Her mom) became muslim, then the entire family except my daughter's husband. (he wasn't giving up drinking for anyone) :) . They all insist same god. Well, Jesus says himself "If you deny Me........etc" On the ladder of people going to heaven, they've put Jesus BEHIND Mohammed. They have no trinity. Then there's mohammed's history. Jesus never robbed and murdered to accumulate enough wealth for Christianity to be accepted. This could go on and on
    . Elizabeth (Catholic)

    ReplyDelete