Sunday, July 16, 2023

Long Live Pope Francis


 
“But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” (Mt 12:36-37)


I fear my judgment. Of all the things I fear most, it is the idle and thoughtless words, the “Racas” both spoken and written, that I will be held to account on. Though I have confessed them, I doubt my penance in this life will ever make sufficient retribution.


I was convicted this morning while reading the life of Padre Pio and his saintly example of docility and obedience of my own culpability here. Obviously I am not a religious and under no vow apart from that to my spouse. But my example is a far cry from this son of the Church. 


One area that convicted me was Padre Pio’s great love for and devotion to the Supreme Pontiff, Christ’s vicar, who in his life was Paul VI. His filial obedience was so deep that he chaffed at even the slightest criticism of the Pope, even when it was in his own defense:


“Padre Pio was very severe with those who attacked authority because they felt unjust restrictions had been placed on him. Doctor Festa, in his book, Mysteries of Science and the Light of Faith, had written irreverent words about the Father General and accused him of not having taken Padre Pio's defense. Padre Pio wrote Dr. Festa a letter in which he begged him to leave out these words and even threatening him with divine punishments. 


The mayor of San Giovanni Rotondo also learned something about this persecution and had prepared a white paper which he intended to have printed in defense of Padre Pio. But when Padre Pio read it, he took the author by his neck and shouted at him in one of his outbursts of sacred fury: "Satan, go and throw yourself at the feet of the Church instead of writing this foolishness. Don't oppose your mother"


Padre Pio did not protest or dissent, which is so much in fashion today. He did not judge his superiors actions. He bowed his head and Obeyed.”


—Padre Pio: The Wonder Worker, FFI, p.63


I will readily admit I struggle as a Catholic under the current pontificate. I let my hurt and frustration come out from time to time, and I do not suffer well. But my “sufferings” as a traditionally minded Catholic absolutely pale in comparison to what Padre Pio endured at the hands of the Church. And how did he respond to this unjust persecution?


“During the two years of his trial Padre Pio didn't make the slightest complaint. He was always docile, humble, obedient, and patient with everyone. Those who tried to comfort him in some way never heard a complaint or the slightest criticism of authority. For him this was God's will. He would say, "The hand of the Church is gentle even when it strikes us because it is our mother's hand." And he bore his imprisonment, as he called it, with strength and faith. He recognized the will of God in it more and more. And he wanted to fulfill His Will and he did so willingly.“


Are we better than this saint? No, we are much worse in fact. At the slightest inconvenience we are quick to complain and air our grievances publicly for anyone to hear. We consider ourselves as martyrs when our preferences are not met. We take to the press and make loud lamentations. We trade our crosses for lighter ones more pleasing to our sensibilities.


If we follow these promptings, indulging our will like a dog that licks his sores, we find that we are now no better than dogs. We are not victims, but rather centurions with the mallets in our hands. We protest to Pilate that they have the wrong man, that our King should not suffer and die, but live and reign so that dignity might be restored to Israel.


But Christ accepted his scourges, shame, and sentence with docility, like a lamb led to slaughter. He “opened not his mouth.” He offered his beard to be plucked. Because he knew there was no atonement without sacrifice.


I may not “like” much less love our current pontiff. But who am I? Why should God hear my sighs and petty complaints? His Vicar sits on His throne, and the Lord is not in the business of accidentals. His Will is sovereign. He uses who He wills to accomplish His purposes. Our idle complaints do not go unheard. But that should fill us with compunction and fear, not satisfaction.


“And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD's anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.” (1 Sam 24:6)


May God have mercy on me, a sinner. Let us say with our Mother, “I am the handmaid of the Lord. Let it be done to me according to thy word.” And long live the vicar of Christ.



12 comments:

  1. I love Padre Pio. I think there’s no saying how he would react to the situation we’re living in now. But your article has reminded me that I can pray for his intercession so that I will be rightly guided in making my way through the crisis. No doubt he will be willing to pray for that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article, Paul. Much needed.

    God will work through all this mess as He has done so in the past. I pray for our Pope and try and ignore whatever he says that is causing controversy. I struggle to see him as a good father, but that doesn't mean I cannot desire and pray for him to come back to orthodoxy.

    I am also choosing to not keep up with the ecclesiastical politics and the upcoming Synod on synods as it just makes me anxious. Ignoring details, choosing time in Adoration, and praying for them is helping me with interior peace. The Lord *is* in control - ours is to pray, fast, honour the Holy Father, and stick to the Traditions of the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe there is a huge difference between the Pontificate of Pope Paul Vi and Pope Francis. Pope Paul did not make heretical statements and did not purposefully lead the Church into heresy and destruction. St Pio endured his personal persecution at the hands of the Vatican but he would not have remained silent on the heresies against the Deposit of Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe there is a huge difference between the Pontificate of Pope Paul VI and Pope Francis. Pope Paul did not make heretical statements and purposefully seek to create confusion around Church teachings. St Può endured personal persecution at the hands of the Vatican but I don’t believe he would have remained silent regarding a persecution of the Deposit of Faith or the Latin Mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,

      We can only speculate. St. Pio was his own man, who had his particular calling and crosses and merited graces. We have ours as well, and need discernment obviously. I have heard he was terribly grieved about the changes in the Mass (and for good reason). I don't know what he did or did do (either interiorly or externally), so I can't speak to that point.

      My point in writing this, I think, was more to take an interior audit for myself, with Padre Pio's words as a catalyst--not as much about him in particular, but him as a saint.

      As it says in Scripture, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: they that love it, shall eat the fruits thereof" (Prov 18:21), and "The lips of a fool intermeddle with strife: and his mouth provoketh quarrels" (Prov 18:6). That doesn't mean we stay silent in the face of injustice or turn our heads, but what are we to make of the words of Christ, then, when he says that "whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou Fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Mt 5:22)? This is as much a matter of the heart as it is the tongue, as lust is to adultery. I've been realizing my culpability in this.

      Delete
    2. Are you serious?

      I think your experience with the Trad community must be pretty recent or shallow. Paul VI was maligned by those people in every possible way, including accusations of heresy, of destruction of the Church, and of horrible personal sins.

      And you've missed the point. The value of obedience is precisely in *giving up one's will* even to commands that seem - or are - unjust. Padre Pio had more to offer the faithful, in his position, than almost anyone in history, yet he subjugated himself to the Church's commands because he understood that, and understood that the Church didn't need *his* protection - the Holy Ghost takes care of that.

      There's no need to speculate about whether St. Pio would have thrown out these maxims over the use of one Latin Missal vs. another. Such speculation is the same as wondering if he would have thrown away his soul for any other reason.

      The Church is not "The Latin Mass." The 1962 Missal is not "The Latin Mass" either. The 1969 Missal can be used in Latin Masses, and is right now in several diocese in the U.S., such as Houston. You've bought all the Trad lies.

      Delete
    3. Hi Anonymous, thanks for your comment. Can you clarify it your comment was directed to me (the author) or to "Joe" (above)?

      Delete
    4. I was speaking to Joe.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. Thank you for this.

    I am a sort of Ex-Trad coming to terms with the *fact* that obedience to the Church and sanctity are *inseparable.*

    And I've long had devotion to St. Pio. I was once privileged to converse with his caretaker, who saw his miraculous wounds daily toward the end of his temporal life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a gift. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete