Friday, August 5, 2022

Not "Clown Masses" Nor "Golden Unicorns": The Truth of the N.O. Lies In The Liturgical Mean


 I think the mistake neo-conservative Catholics make is they point out the occasional "quasi-traditional" reverent Mass (ie, the "Golden Unicorn") as examples of the Novus Ordo done well, as if this was a representative example of most Catholic Churches.

On the other hand, you have other figures, such as Joseph Sciambra, pointing out every possible liturgical abuse, "gay Masses," liturgical dance, etc in fringe San Francisco and other lefty churches as if they were a representative example of most Catholic churches.

The problem, in my opinion, doesn't lie in the extremes of clown Masses or that the Novus Ordo has occasional reverent lipstick on. The truth is in the mean. And the fact of the mean is that the Novus Ordo commonly celebrated in the majority of parishes in the U.S. and abroad is objectively and comfortably lukewarm--neither liturgically hot nor cold. 

Let me give you an example. We have in our area about ten or so run-of-the-mill suburban Catholic parishes where I can attend daily Mass. I went to one this morning at 6:30am because of an evening conflict with the TLM I usually attend for First Friday. 

I've been to this church before, and it stacks pretty similarly to the other ten in our area. They are all cut pretty much from the same cloth, and the only reason someone would attend one over the other is because of schedule or parish loyalty. The aesthetics are one thing--not the be all end all, but not unimportant either: 1970's carpet, a cinderblock wall behind the altar, non-descript stained glass, circular configuration of the pews, music stands and instruments for the "music ministry," tabernacle off to the side, Eucharistic ministers and female lectors, sign of peace, congregation skews older, etc etc. 

The homilies are always safe and comfortable. The congregants seem to know what to expect, and the pastor delivers accordingly. The priests, of course, are older, near retirement age, at most of these parishes--change isn't easy for anyone, but the impetus to change the 1970's liturgical foundation is just not there. Too great a task, too much possible resistance, and not worth it when you are only a ten years away from retirement or death. Why bother. 

As soon as I step in to these churches, my demeanor changes, sinks kind of. I fall into line--I know the New Mass by heart, because for most of my life it's all I knew--and go through the motions. But everything about it feels...lukewarm. I don't know how else to describe it. "I wish you were either one of the other (hot or cold)!" (Rev 3:15) 

Now, maybe if I was in Nigeria or some other country where the faith burns hot at a Novus Ordo Mass it would be different--the orthodox faith of the fervent faithful would cover a multitude of liturgical shortcomings. But here, as St. John writes, "You say, "I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing." But you do not realize you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked" (Rev 3:17).

I hate feeling like this, this kind of perceived "liturgical snobbery," but it's hard to unsee what you've seen when your eyes have seen beauty and reverence, not as an overlay on a shaky experimental foundation, but on a rock of tested tradition (which is the Usus Antiquior). Like I said, the truth is not in the extremes, but in the representative means. I'd wager 90% of Catholic churches in the U.S. are like the church I attended this morning--not overtly abusive, not overly reverent. Just...meh. 

Which means that 90% of Catholics are shaped by this liturgy. It is a fantasy to think the Extraordinary Form will comprise 90% of Catholic Masses in the way the New Mass currently does. But what if it did? Would it transform Catholic culture? Lex orandi, lex credendi and all that. 

Many find sanctity and personal holiness in the Eucharist and personal devotions, and some do it in spite of the banality of the communal worship in the new rite, not because of it. For others, they might be comfortable in it because it's all they've known since 1962, never experienced it another way, and live out the beatitudes anyway. A saint the Latin Mass does not make on it's own, nor does the Novus Ordo necessarily preclude it. But I wonder if we did make the environment more conducive not to coolness or lukewarmness, but being hot so that we all might say, like it was said in prophecy of our Lord, "Zeal for your house has consumed me." (Jn 2:17)


1 comment:

  1. The parish I grew up in was this type.. the 70s carpet, never had seen an altar rail .. no statues of the Blessed Virgin.. etc. The boomer age music ministry to the side of the altar with their guitars ( and tambourine) often played the same/ or similar songs as those heard on the radio in the late 70s.. The homilies never challenged.. often the presider began by joking or telling stories about his travels . I found it had little that would have attracted a then pre teen, or then teenager.. When I was 18 the parish young adult group I was part of attended an event at a different parish in another city - I met some of the young adults there and fell in love with how that parishes more traditional interior was. Somehow the pastor at this parish had managed to preserve the marble altar rail .. beautiful statues.. my eyes were drawn upward by the stunning interior architecture that lifted by gaze toward the heavens .. I found it a peaceful place to pray .. to begin to contemplate .
    I ended up staying in that parish for the next 30 years , marrying there and raising our children .

    ReplyDelete