Thursday, February 23, 2023

Lent And The Human Desire For Self-Discipline

 I recently had a conversation with Matt Swaim of The Coming Home Network about this topic, which I thought was a good one. Christianity does not have a copyright on fasting and asceticism, as it is taken up by almost every ancient religious tradition. Even in the secular world, things like time-restricted eating and cold exposure are gaining interest. And as I mention in the podcast, I was attracted to this kind of moral code and self-denial even before I became a Christian, which I tried to live out in Straight-Edge underground hardcore scene.

But in our own Catholic faith, it's often not so much the "why" behind what motives us to undertake various disciplines, but the "Who."

It's about an hour long, but may be of interest to some of you. Pat Flynn (Chronicles of Strength is his podcast, focusing on fasting, fitness, philosophy, and minimalism) is the other gentleman on the podcast (he's on the left side of the screen, I'm on the right). I enjoyed the conversation.

I pray your Lent is off to a good start. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint!







4 comments:

  1. Thanks that was so interesting. Matt Swaim is a great guy and host. I loved his morning show Son Rise Morning Show that used to be on Immaculate Heart Radio. Glad to see you are all friends and supporting each other in discipline and spiritual growth. Have a most blessed Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always amazing. I was meditating on just this as I begin my Lenten fast and wanted to go deeper in a highly purposeful way. My new Catholic Daughter is overwhelmed (in a very good way)with the rigors of the Faith and is astounded at the endurance and perseverence that is taken seriously in order to grow us in Grace and obedience. Fresh eyes are always inspiring! I wish I was doing social media so I could share this but will share with my family who are just signing on to this "more excellent way".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm subscribed to the Coming Home Network, so your vid came up on my feed. I detected a bit of a Philly accent in your speech, so I looked at your Journey Home episode, yep, you're One of Us! :)

    I've been binge-ing these conversion and reversion stories because I'm a revert myself, and also this entire "culture" and "society" we're mired in is kind of depressing. I don't have any RC friends/family...I mean *observant* RC in my network...so I have to derive intellectual sustenance from the internet. How sad is that?

    Your interview with Matt Swaim and Pat Flynn was educational and inspirational. I'm sure I'll view it again to get the bits I missed the first go-round. Could you and your spiritual community pray for my boyfriend Bill, he is captive to a marijuana addiction and that kind of impedes his progress back to Our Lord.

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Praise God for your reversion. Praying the prayer of St. Francis for you that I prayed for my wife and I: "Lord, send me some brothers (and sisters)". He did.

      Delete