Monday, February 6, 2023

Saying The Quiet Parts Out Loud


 

I really am not a fan of taking screen shots, but sometimes it's just helpful to have a bookmark for later. A couple things strike me about the posturing of this individual:

-Liberals often virtue signal all over themselves, but trads can do it too, and they wear it well for all to see. This is as good an exhibit as any.

-Zeal requires wisdom and temperance to be a complete protein. Unchecked, it's like trying to drink from a firehose.

-It's good to be ready to die for the faith, to have the right disposition. I'm not sure this is it, though. 

-I don't think this is theatrics per se (if the individual really would pull the trigger), but it is effeminately dramatic.

-It's brute tribalism.

-It backs you into a corner, serves as a kind of oath if you will. Nothing to do but double down.

-Just get off Twitter, online knight. Nothing good comes from it and it doesn't advance the cause. And I think people get self-goaded into posting this arm-flailing stuff because they know they have an audience and people are following them and so they have to 'stake their claim' to where they stand on x, y, z.


In one sense, though, he's taking the hardcore trad 'line in the sand' stance to it's logical end, so I'll give him credit for that. It only sounds outlandish when you go from A to Z without seeing the rest of the lead up in the middle of the alphabet. I just wonder how many other trads really think this way besides the 134 that liked the post.

I used to have a saying--don't be extreme in anything except charity. It's served me okay, and these kinds of tweets are a reminder to test all spirits (1 Jn 4:1). 


I sent this email to someone I know recently. I thought maybe it is worth publishing here (I never got a response) to share my own thoughts, which do not square with the individual above. Call me soft. We all have to make these decisions for ourselves when the time comes, and take responsibility for them. I've made a lot of wrong decisions in the past, but all we can do is work with what we have, continue to pray and ask for wisdom, and step out in faith. Not that I ever had a trad card in my possession, but I'll probably lose whatever I had with this revealing. Anyway, here it is:


I just watched the Michael Lofton video ("Can Pope Francis Ban The Latin Mass?") you posted on FB (my wife still has an account). I wanted to respond, as someone who is not a Traditionalist (in the strict sense of the term) but who has exclusively attended the Latin Mass for the past four years, has fallen in love with it, and has never had the desire to return to the Ordinary Form.


Since the last time I wrote you about a year ago in struggling with various attachments, I feel that God has been giving generously from the storehouse of grace and supplying me with what I need to grow closer to Him. Thanks be to God, I have cut out tobacco/nicotine (a very pernicious 25 year addiction, mind you), have committed to a minimum of twenty minutes of mental prayer a day, regular Adoration, and undertaken a variety of commonplace mortification to discipline the body (cold showers, fasting, etc). I still have a ways to go with service to the poor apart from personal charity and coordinating various volunteer opportunities at our local soup kitchen, but one thing at a time at least. Ironically, the Youtube video referenced above may be one of the last, as I'm trying to forgo that attachment (to Youtube) during the Lenten season.


I make note of the above because I hope it is clear that my intention in undertaking these things is to empty my hands, so that God can fill them. That includes physical attachments and minor comforts, but also attitudes and judgments. I know I have no good in me of my own, but that He is great enough to make me "as holy as I should be," according to His will--ie, that He desires me, as well as all his children, to become sanctitified. In other words, I want to learn to suffer well, so that I may see His face in Heaven and join the company of his saints, whether on earth or after death.


As mentioned, it is hard enough to navigate the interior life sometimes, so I try to keep it basic (scripture, rosary, Mass, confession, spiritual reading of the classics, state of grace, charity, etc). But just as difficult can be where my place in the Church is. I have an eclectic community which is comprised of both hardcore traditionalists and just plain good, faithful Catholics happy in the Ordinary Form. Watching the Michael Lofton video was somewhat over my head (I'm not an intellectual or an academic), but it also made me sick and angry. If it is true that Pope Francis has the rightful authority to abrogate the Traditional Mass, and if one does not assent to that authority and, say, goes off and continues to attend underground (Latin) Masses, or whatever....that this is an act of willful disobedience. Well, it's all very confusing. And my own community will completely fracture. It is almost too much to think about.


But I also realize my personal "preference" for a solemn liturgy in the Extraordinary Form may in itself be an attachment. I wrote a post a while back titled "Should You Have A Liturgical Plan B?" in which I had to really wrestle with these practicalities. It is heart wrenching to think that is may very well be on the horizon (and I have good reason to think it would be). 


But the fact stands--if God deigns to see fit that Pope Francis abolishes the usage of the '62 missal, there are some (most) in Traditionalist camp that call for resistance, a kind of "civil disobedience" of not accepting this decree. Others maybe not so invested will accept and not put up a fight, and revert back to the Novus Ordo. For people like myself and my family, it would be a great humiliation almost (perhaps that is not the best word, but it's all that comes to mind right now) to follow in that second path. 


But if it means a kind of spiritual humbling that can lead to greater sanctification, for however long, I am willing to undergo it. Even though everything in my natural faculties is screaming "No." As I write it, I see how cultivating detachment has a lot of trails still to undergo. 


I do feel it is a grave injustice, and I don't understand why the Holy Father seems bent on this. And to know that our dicocesan TLM community will completely fracture, we will lose everything we have grown to love (many will go to the SSPX or FSSP, if even the FSSP is untouched)--it fills me with grief and heart sickness. 


But our Lord was filled with grief and heart sickness throughout his ministry and on the cross. If we deign to imitate Him, follow Him, why do we think we can avoid entering into this state with him (being baptized in his death, as Paul says)? If God wills I crucify my desire for the TLM, I pray for the grace to shed it then in order to follow Him. I pray for a holy docility, a holy indifference, but it is so incredibly hard. And incredibly confusing times.


Anyway, I've gone on long enough. I don't know if you have any advice or insight, but I thought at least you might want to hear from someone pretty much all-in on the traditional liturgy who is still willing--through tears--to crucify it should it be in disobedience to continue to attend it (if that were even possible). I don't know what to do, but I pray God will give me the grace to discern when and if the time comes. Please pray for me as well. 


6 comments:

  1. It’s very sad. My daughter, who doesn’t attend Mass anymore, hears what’s going on from me and said today, “It’s so Protestant. You really have a bunch of denominations.” She’s right. And you know, you could say that Francis is just trying to put an end to it. “No more denominations! There is only one Faith, expressed in one liturgy. Let there be no more disunity!”

    Oh, Francis, if only. We know from decades as NO Catholics that there can’t be “unity” in a Church whose liturgy can be said as beautifully or as irreverently as possible and it’s all ok. Where is the Faith at all when the practices in NO Masses undermine that Faith, such as belief in the Real Presence? And how can we have unity when the lack of beauty and solid teaching have already led most Catholics to decide that none of it matters? Catholics have been leaving in droves over the decades, and it’s not the TLM that drove them away.

    If you abandon the TLM out of obedience, in the hope that the 20% who still go to Mass are “united”, will you also adopt the teachings that are supposed to unite us? Do you really think the Synods are designed to increase faith in the perennial teachings of the Catholic Faith? Does it matter? What might the connection be to getting rid of the TLM while also getting ready for the October synod? What’s the motivation behind those two events? The good of souls? Hmmm. I’m thinking that’s not very likely, in fact I’m sure it’s not. So what is the motivation?

    You’re uncomfortable with the thought of leaving the TLM behind. You should feel uncomfortable about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those questions are largely above my paygrade, and I have very little influence over what happens in Rome. The synods are a joke, and the litmus bar for bishops these days, what makes them "one of the good ones" is that "they believe."

      As much as this is a pragmatic situation of which Mass to attend when your options are limited, I also think this is also a matter of the heart. "I'd rather die," then attend the New Mass, is an interior disposition that orients our attitudes. It reminds of Peter in his zeal and cutting off the ear of Malchus, and our Lord telling him, "Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?" What is the right disposition, and who do we imitate?

      I really don't have an answer. I'm sorry. We should remember during these times even the elect will be deceived, were that even possible, as scripture says. And so for one moment even we cannot take our eyes of Christ, lest we sink.

      Delete
  2. This is one of the many issues which require discernment, Paul.

    Just as one shouldn't confuse pride with zeal, it's also important not to mistake passivity for obedience, or naivety for humility.

    -Timothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does require discernment.

      Care to expand on this comment? What it looks like in the context of what you are referencing?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Paul, I’ll make an attempt.

      Excerpts from The Imitation of Christ are favorite sources of meditation and insight.
      “…walk before me in truth and seek me always in the simplicity of your heart.”
      He who walks before me in the truth shall be defended from the assaults of evil, and the truth will deliver him from deceivers…” -III:IV

      Also, the church acknowledges saints for a reason. They often have experienced the same issues which we confront today.
      “We have had enough exhortations to be silent…I see that the world is rotten because of silence.” -St. Catherine of Sienna

      We also can consult our ancestors in the faith, particularly converts.
      “I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.” -GK Chesterton

      My observations and reflections over the past half-century have led me to conclude that it is not the very few evil doers in the world that cause most of the harm. It is the assertively indifferent who parrot every platitude that justifies their choice to go-along to get-along.

      So, it is very edifying when men like you make the effort to study and discuss their faith.
      However, even talking about things of importance is often discouraged by those who benefit from problems staying unsolved. The only solution to that is thoughtfully using words to spread The Word. Take care.

      -Timothy


      Some sneer; some snigger; some simper;
      In the youth where we laughed and sang.
      And they may end with a whimper
      But we will end with a bang. -GKC

      Delete
  3. Hi Paul, this is Ann. I used to regularly read your old blog and followed you on Facebook. Thanks for posting this. This whole issue is very confusing. We do not have any Latin Masses in my diocese but there is an Institute of Christ the King Oratory over an hour from where I live. My health has not been great (nothing serious), so I am unable to go to the TLM. I feel like I am missing out and that the time will come when there are no TLMs available for me to attend. I am praying to St. Joseph for guidance since he is the Patron of the Universal Church. He has never let me down and I know that I will figure this out at some point.

    ReplyDelete