Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Travelogues (Day 3): Small town America, and the Power of One

 I just crossed into New York and am at a truck stop gas station about 15 miles from the hermitage. Mike D thankfully drove me part of the way up the fog covered mountain early this morning on the way to one of his painting jobs, and dropped me off at the Harford exit off I-81. This shaved off about thirty miles and 2,000 feet of elevation gain, and I was thankful because it meant I could take my time and mosey though the country side. I stopped at a local diner and had breakfast—the proprietor had no issue with me charging my battery while I ate. The locals and old timers talked about the weather and local happenings at the table next to me. 



I had some anxiety about charging along the way but it hasn’t been an issue. All you need is one outlet and sometime. 110v outlets are standard ad ubiquitous, even in the most rural parts of the country like this. It’s like in life—you just need to meet one woman, one friend, one mentor, who might save you or change the course of your life with a pointed word or an act of kindness at the right moment. I’ve charged my battery for an hour or two at diners, laundromats, gas stations, coffee shops. It forces me to have built in breaks, and only costs a nickel. I leave good tips, or buy something from the establishment.



Pennsylvania has more small towns than any state in the U.S. Bicycling is a great way to slow down and experience out great country. When I biked from San Francisco to Washington DC twenty years ago, I experienced small towns in Nevada, Utah, Kansas, and Ohio where the kindness of strangers buoyed my faith in humanity. This trip is not as extended, but it’s still neat to travel slowly through some of these forgotten towns where people still live, work, and have community. 



Leaving the friary Thursday at sunrise is an almost 100 mile leg through the mountains back to Scranton, so pray for me for safe travels. Long way from home at this point. I will be spending time in my hermitage praying and reading the scriptures, and mass with the friars. I will pray for you.


People can be good. God is good. St Joseph and my guardian angel have been watching over me. Thank you for your prayers!



No comments:

Post a Comment