Thursday, December 29, 2022

A Year In Pictures

 I caught myself this morning scrolling through my Rolodex of pictures and images. Because I'm a right-brained person, I see the world through art, poetry, music, etc. The following are a collection of some of the saved images, art, and photographs I've saved over the past two years that I consider to be especially iconic of both faith and life in general. I have included a little synopsis for each image and why I included it here; some are personal, some are collective.

I hope you enjoy browsing them and that will inspire something in you to make 2023 an iconic year for you as well



I honestly do not know where I came across this photograph, but it is one of my absolute favorites. I believe it appeared during the pandemic, when priests who wanted to feed their sheep were getting creative with how they did so. This image speaks to me on a lot of levels--for the penitent, with his motorcycle behind him, as well as the sincerity in his face. The priest as well, listening intently, oblivious to the rain pouring down around them. It speaks to me of the unfathomable depths of God's mercy, the gift of the sacrament of Confession, and the heart of priests who long to serve in persona Christi.


This photograph as well I found very iconic; I believe it is a European teenager who stepped out alone to oppose a Pride parade. It typifies for me the cultural onslaught we face as Christians, and many who go alone armed with nothing but the Cross to oppose the zeitgeist. 


This is a longstanding favorite of mine, older than a few years old, but I believe this is a Chinese cardinal imprisoned by the CCP. Pray for the persecuted (underground) Church in China! 


This is a photograph by one of our local newspapers; it is my friend Moira unabashedly witnessing to the truth outside of the President's parish. 


This is another moving photograph that was making the rounds in 2020 I believe. A young (FSSP) priest in full cassock who witnessed a horrific accident in Pennsylvania during a storm, stepping out of his vehicle to administer last rites, I believe. Young men becoming priests today, I believe, are going in with a heart for God and for his people, not for any kind of status or adulation from the culture.


I don't know the origins of this photograph, but I believe it was when the churches shutdown during COVID. The faithful remnant, pining for the sacraments, doing penance on their knees. It is a striking contrast to see how small they seem in the shadow of the institutional church.


This is not a faith based photograph necessarily, but it always moved me. This man attempted to end his life by stepping off the bridge, while a police officer spoke with him for hours, gently urging him to reconsider his choice. The man was saved. God was working in that police officer, I believe. People are plagued today by hopelessness--a good reminder to exemplify the hope the world needs!


It was an eerie time at St. Peter's, when the Holy Father did benediction to a largely empty square. I believe I took this photograph from the livestream as our family watched it online. Surreal.


This is a bit of a random photograph, but it's a 'day after' shot post-Mardi Gras in New Orleans. To me, it typifies my past life, of what I left behind and was ransomed from--the hangover of sin.


"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."(Jn 15:18-20)  


The Son loves the Mother, and honors her as Queen of Heaven and Earth. The Mother loves and honors the Son, the King and Judge. She is the Mediatrix of all grace. 


This is a photograph of Servant of God Francis Houle, the Michigan stigmatist and father/grandfather, from the 1990's. We had Thanksgiving dinner with one of his sons a couple years ago; he told us people with cancer would come to Francis and he would lay his hands on them and they would be healed. Meanwhile at home, Francis' son told us he would hear his father getting sick in the bathroom, having taken on the effects of the person's chemotherapy to himself. He is one of our family's go-to intercessors, and he has already worked what we consider to be two miracles for our family and a friend.


The sorrowful Mother, the miracle of tears. How often has she tried to warn us, and we ignore her plea? 


I painted this self-portrait in my flat when I was living in New Zealand. It was one particular lonely afternoon, marked by deep depression, sin and disorder. The country itself was paradise. But I longed for a well that would never run dry.


This is a photograph of my son and I late one night at the kitchen table discussing theology, philosophy, and film. He was about 10 at the time. I pray my children will always feel comfortable coming to me to talk. I wrote about that evening here.


You may have noticed this image at the top of the blog. I don't know what it is called, but it is Mary and Joseph in Egypt, very striking. Joseph the protector, humble and silent. Pray for us!


My wife took this photograph on a family vacation. It reminds me of playing with my kids, but always the struggle of being a dad who is present to them.


This image hangs in our guest room. It is the child Jesus running to St. Therese the Little Flower. One of my favorites.



This photograph is called "Aid from the Padre", it was taken in Venezuela I believe and captures the true vocation of the priest, I think. I discussed it here.







No comments:

Post a Comment