Sunday, July 24, 2022

Should You Have a Liturgical "Plan B"?


A priest friend in the diocese texted me the other day after the vindicitve queen'ing of Cardinal Gregory that he thinks our diocesean TLM's days are numbered. I replied back, "I guess we will have to just wait and see." 

Part of my response was trying to smooth out any unnecesary inner-alarmism on my part, and part was that I really don't have a firm backup plan should the only Latin Mass offered in our state be taken from us.

If we were to list out our 'options,' here's where it stands:

-There is a Ukrainian Catholic Church about ten minutes from us. I am Byzantine by rite; my wife doesn't care for the liturgy. I have written about why we don't attend the Divine Liturgy here.

-There is a SSPX chapel about ten minutes from us as well. I really don't want to go the SSPX route, though it is always an option for occasional Mass. I've written about how I've (at the moment) come to that decision here.

-The FSSP Latin Mass is about a half hour from us. It's a large quasi-parish. We know people here, I've gone to events there, but there's no local connection for us. It is an option, I suppose.

-We could keep attending our local parish; the Novus Ordo is now offered ad orientum, reverent, etc. For lack of a better expression, it's still lipstick on a pig, though, which I'm having trouble getting past.


I honestly don't know what if any "concession plan" we have were the TLM to be no mas here. Do we need to have this figured out now? I don't feel the Lord will abandon us, even if our ecclesial snyonder's throw us out to pasture. It wouldn't be the first. 

Part of me fears the resentment that has the potential to scab over in my heart if forced to attend the Novus Ordo by the heavy-hand of Rome. It's hard to go back to chuck when you've been treated to sirloin. I wouldn't say I'm opposed to this concession (because let's face it, I would never go back if my arm wasn't pinned behind me in the way TC is trying to do), but my heart drops when I think about the prospect. It would be an act of penance and humility, but also brings with it those awful feelings of years ago having to "offer up" the endurance of the banal liturgy and casucal offensiveness of not offering God the choicest cuts of worship.

I don't even ask "why" anymore, though (ie, WHY is this happening to us? What did we do wrong?). That would imply that those in the upper ecclesial echelons have our best interests at heart. They don't. There is not order and right reason, but disorder and confusion, which is of the Devil. Perhaps this is a chastisement from God, and the just will have to endure it as part of their sanctification. Nothing happens apart from His will. From the prophecy of St. Francis:

“There will be such diversity of opinions and schisms among the people, the religious and the clergy, that, except those days were shortened, according to the words of the Gospel, even the elect would be led into error, were they not specially guided, amid such great confusion, by the immense mercy of God….

“Those who persevere in their fervor and adhere to virtue with love and zeal for the truth, will suffer injuries and persecutions as rebels and schismatics; for their persecutors, urged on by the evil spirits, will say they are rendering a great service to God by destroying such pestilent men from the face of the earth…

“Some preachers will keep silent about the truth, and others will trample it under foot and deny it. Sanctity of life will be held in derision even by those who outwardly profess it, for in those days Our Lord Jesus Christ will send them, not a true Pastor, but a destroyer.”

—Works of the Seraphic Father St. Francis of Assisi, published in 1882 by the London-based Catholic publishing house R. Washbourne, 1882, pp. 248-250.


So, I think at this point, we will continue to trust God and not try to pre-formulate a "plan" of our own. I don't know what we will do if the rug is ripped out from under us, but we are more fortunate than many (whom my heart burns for), and we trust God will supply us as a family with sufficient grace necessary for our state in life. We aren't owed anything. Maybe the pain of wanting to offer fitting worship and being unable to will cloak us in the pain our Savior bore in dying for ungrateful, sinful men. I don't know. I've been holding on to this scripture in the meantime concerning being ok with not having a "plan B" until the Lord reveals it to me as the spiritual head of my household:

"And when they shall bring you into the synagogues, and to magistrates and powers, be not solicitous how or what you shall answer, or what you shall say; For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what you must say." (Lk 12:11-12)

3 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on the FSSP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No issues with them, and no real thoughts either. You could make the argument you wouldn't have the Fraternity were it not for the Society (since they were formed as a response). Still working that one out, personally.

      Delete
  2. 30 minutes to the FSSP TLM sounds about right.
    Or toggle between NO and TLM. It can feel schizophrenic but keeps you in touch with the whole, universal Church and more members of the flock and may offer more insights and perspectives as to our shared goal of salvation.

    ReplyDelete