Sunday, January 21, 2024

What It's Like To Be An INFJ Catholic


I take all things with a grain of salt, including personality type indicators such as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. But I do find them interesting and somewhat helpful, the way someone with various mysterious ailments would find a medical diagnosis helpful in explaining why they do the things they do or feel the way they do. Hippocrates put forth the idea of the Four Temperaments in the 5th century BC and many Catholics find this useful in regards to their spiritual life. So using a personality type indicator for personal insight and self knowledge is not at odds with our faith, provided we regard it as a servant and not a master. 

The MBTI identifies 16 personality "types" using the following identifiers:


I/E (introverted/extroverted)

S/N (sensing/intuition)

T/F (thinking/feeling)

J/P (judging/perceiving)


I took a test years ago and as it ends up I was an INFJ (introverted-intuitive-feeling-judging). From what I understand, this personality type comprises 2-3% of the general population, which can be a challenge sometimes. I saw a comment once that seemed accurate: "They understand everyone...but no one understand them. The INFJ personality truly is a major gift that comes at a major price." Some of the more peculiar character traits of this type are:


-All-or-Nothing syndrome

-inability to settle

-perfectionism (this isn't a big one for me)

-solitude vs friendship

-contradiction

-writers not talkers

-seeing both the big picture and the details

-empathetic/compassionate visionaries and doers


God made us all different for a reason, and we all have gifts and talents to share with the world; being cognizant of our weaknesses while capitalizing on our strengths can help with that, in my opinion. 


I won't go through point by point on these particular INFJ traits for myself, but I've noticed a few things worth mentioning with how it relates to my prayer and community life, as well as how I relate to God.


First off, I think the more we understand the energy aspects of introversion vs extroversion the more experts are recognizing it is not a binary distinction, but rather a spectrum. Personally, I have an introverted core with an extroverted shell, what my wife calls an "extroverted introvert" or ambivert. This actually can come in quite handy because I like talking with new people and being social, but get very turned off by small talk and typically do hone in on one person in large groups to talk to (ideally, about something meaningful). My social battery also does need to be recharged with solitude, with is necessary in the creative process. But I do tend to vacillate between the two: shorter periods (1-3 days) of prayer and solitude are great, but more than that and I'm climbing over the monastery walls; I miss people when I'm around them, but then when I am can get my fill very quickly and desire the solitude again. It's....complicated, haha.

The All or Nothing syndrome is accurate. One silly example is when I was doing the Carnivore diet briefly for a couple days I was already looking up where to buy a whole butchered cow (thankfully, I pumped the brakes since that diet didn't last long). What's helpful to realize, spiritually speaking, is that virtue is the wisdom between extremes. It can also be a challenge because if I'm going to do something, I want to do it completely and well; otherwise, in my mind, it's not worth doing at all. Maybe that's where the perfectionism trait comes in (though I would hardly consider myself a perfectionist in strict terms).

The contradiction trait is probably the hardest one for me--not so much for myself, but because I feel very misunderstood and lonely a lot because it is hard to understand where I'm coming from, or what I really mean when I write. I feel like I'm threading a needle a lot of times with holding this string of tension together, sometimes with two seemingly incongruent ideas (that do relate to one another, however). 

I do get very annoyed with people who have lofty ideas but don't carry things out; this is interesting, because I feel like I have both. My wife is a 100% "be-er" and I, by contrast, am a "do-er." I'm as much pragmatic as I am idealistic. When I started a men's prayer and fraternity group at our parish, I had a vision for it, but was very clear with the other men that I started it with that it needs to have structure and consistency to work. We got it off the ground pretty quickly, and it's been going strong for a year now. So, I'm as much concerned with the "forest" big picture as I am about the practical details ("the trees").

In terms of prayer, I think my personality type does lend itself to Adoration, particularly. I'm with my best friend, the Lord, in Adoration, 1:1, in a "feeling" capacity where I don't have to think or be structured. It's a mystical-bent, but very practical as well in terms of the hour spent in this kind of prayer. 

I trust my gut. A lot. I don't analyze things like an engineer or a data scientist, but go with intuition 99 times out of 100 with regard to decisions. Also, I have a strange ability to get "vibes" from people within a few moments of meeting them: whether that's a "bad man" vibe or a positive one that draws me in. I've learned to trust this, and it has not let me down often. It can be a little weird sometimes though, because I've had instances when I really get to know someone quickly and they don't even realize it, so you can sometimes anticipate the things they are feeling or are going to say without them always knowing it. 

With regards to writing, it is as much a burden and curse as it is a blessing. It is how I feel most comfortable expressing myself and working out my thoughts on things, because I have time to think about what I want to say and can articulate it; I am ok in interviews, but I would never host a podcast or anything like that. So I just try to use it for God's glory and as an oblation, rather than navel-gazing or strictly journaling. 

In terms of career, I'm grateful I fell into the field I did because it tends to suit my personality well. I do a lot of data/practical things, but also have a counseling and marketing role, so this adaptability in introversion/extraversion is an asset there. I do a lot of different things each day, which I like (inability to settle, maybe?) I have to feel people out when I'm speaking to them about their programs of interest, where intuition is a boon, as well as the ability to listen rather than speak. And my job is a combination of solitude and interaction, which I like, as well as mission-driven (rather than corporate). So, I'm thankful for all that. 

Knowing ourselves is not the end-goal--we know ourselves so we know who we are in Christ and how we can best serve him given the way we were fearfully and wonderfully made. Not to mention understanding others not as "bad" or "difficult," but simply endowed with different personality traits. And we compliment each other as well when we are different--whether that's in a marriage, a friendship, the workplace, or our parishes. God knew what he was doing when He created us! As St. Francis de Sales said, "Be who you are, and be that well."

7 comments:

  1. I am an ENFJ. But like you am probably an ambivert! I need and desire connection but I do also need alone time. I do find this helpful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. some test says I'm INTP. Curious to know if the percent population is pretty even but it's really not

    Personality Type 16 Personalities Percentage
    INTJ 2.1%
    INTP 3.3%
    ENTJ 1.8%
    ENTP 3.2%
    INFJ 1.5%
    INFP 4.4%
    ENFJ 2.5%
    ENFP 8.1%
    ISTJ 11.6%
    ISFJ 13.8%
    ESTJ 8.7%
    ESFJ 12%
    ISTP 5.4%
    ISFP 8.8%
    ESTP 4.3%
    ESFP 8.5%

    Wonder how much is hard wired and how much is a reaction to your life experiences? Also, seems like it can also change as you go through different seasons of life. And if you're bi-polar I could see being extroverted manic and introverted depressive. Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I'm not sure if this was in response to the previous comment, or to my post. I'm not disagreeing with you, but thanks for the insight regardless. I guess that's the balance we have to strike as human beings..."we are saved, we are being saved, and we hope to be saved," as well as the hypostatic union of our Lord (both human and divine). This wasn't meant to be an overtly "spiritual" post in that way...just an insight into fallen human nature (as you wrote) in one particular part of that prism which has many different sides. Kind of like in spiritual realm, when we know certain sins we struggle with more than others, that we can be attentive to be on guard in those areas perhaps more acutely.

      Anyway, like you said, we "see through a glass darkly" (1 Cor 13:12) and distrust of self is principal in the spiritual combat, so like I said in the beginning of this post, I take these things with a grain of salt rather than gospel, but sometimes find them interesting and of value nonetheless in this fallen human world.

      Thanks for your comment, and God bless.

      Delete
    2. Thank you.
      Since all of creation was made through Him, with Him and in Him for Him, it stands to reason truth exist in all things. It's its interpretation that gives way to errors.
      One needs a correctly formed conscious in order to judge righteous judgment. "my people perish for lack of Knowledge". But this is the Knowledge the Holy Spirit gives, not the world.
      The personality test gives us a glimpse of ourselves through a set value arranged by the test formation experts.
      A lot of "truth" is there because of these experts and this can and should be helpful.
      Agreed.
      But we must always use the fullness of truth to "test everything and keep what is good" and watch that the fruit of the Spirit in our lives is properly formed by it.
      Amen

      Delete
  3. I've only recently come across your writing and am really appreciating it. I'm an INFJ too; what you've written sounds very familiar. The freedom to simply sit and be with Him is usually the place where I most experience closeness to Him, and to your insight about Adoration I would also add meditative prayer in general (lectio especially) even without the Blessed Sacrament present. One other thought - not sure if you're regular TLM-goer but it's been my experience that a LOT of INFJs show up in that context. I've lost track of how many people I've met in my own TLM community who identify as INFJ.Have you noticed this at all in your own travels in traditional-leaning contexts? I know, for myself, that the silence of a well-celebrated Low Mass is sometimes even more refreshing than a beautiful sung mass. I'm wondering how much of that is tied in with INFJ traits, i.e. craving a loose structure for intimate prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Nathan! Yes, we attend the TLM exclusively. The "loose structure for intimate prayer" makes sense; my son serves both low and high Mass, but I have grown to appreciate more a quiet low Mass over the years.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete