Thursday, May 20, 2021

"Is There Any Reason Why I Should Remain Catholic? Yes. Here's why:

 One Peter Five ran a piece today that a priest friend forwarded to me. It is written by an anonymous seminarian titled "Is There Any Reason Why I Should Remain Catholic?" He is leaving the seminary in disillusionment at the lack of faith and clear doctrinal teaching in the modern Church, and is self-admittedly bitter and resentful.

I find the people who care the most are sometimes the most vulnerable to this danger of--well, let's not mince words--apostasy. You literally almost have to wear blinders today, and not get too close to see "how the sausage is made" in the institutional Church to shield and preserve oneself from this phenomenon. As I recounted in "Like An Ox":

"The more I try to live for the Lord and try to surround myself with people who desire the same, the more I have come to see that trait of stubbornness less as a liability and more as an asset, when mobilized in a virtuous manner. In the coming days, the days of martyrdom, the would-be saint would do well to cultivate a kind of bull-headedness in regard to refusing to sin, refusing to relent in holiness, even under pressure and persecution. You have to be!"

I feel for this seminarian (the article is worth a read, if nothing else to take as a warning sign and having your eyes wide open), but I don't agree with his conclusion, mostly because I refuse to sign on to bitterness and resentfulness (not fruits of the Spirit), but hang my hat on the virtue of hope

But, pragmatically speaking, I have a few words and insights to offer in terms of avoiding this state of being, remaining in the Church, and joyfully so. 

First, as I told our men in bible study this morning--the future Church will be a remnant of it's past self, the shell of a cicada, almost unrecognizable to its former days of glory in years past. Benedict XVI foresaw this in his "small Church" proclamation in the 1960's. You have to realize that you will often stand alone, even in the Church itself, to remain faithful. And faithful you must be, to the very end, for the crown belongs only to those who persevere.

Speaking of perseverance, we must remember that perseverance is a grace, and one we must ask and pray for. If you are not praying, daily--and often in spite of, not because of, the state of the institutional Church--you will not receive it. Martydom of the self is not for wusses, and those who look back aren't worthy of it. You have to assume the bull-headedness of an ox...that despite the abuse, despite the lack of spine, despite the loss of faith, you WILL BELIEVE, and continue to do so until your last breath. 

Secondly, and this is one I try to practice myself--don't get too close to the sausage machine. Turn off Church Militant and other sensationalist media outlets addicted to bad news. Refuse to capitulate or be influenced by others lack of faith. If you realize you will stand alone, you will not be caught unawares when you are, since that is the norm, not the exception. Do not be surprised by a lack of faith in the larger Church, by cultural Catholics--our Lord and our Lady told us so. Trust their words. 

Finally, I could go on, but I'll end with this--don't worry about what others are doing: put the blinders on so all you see is the Cross in your line of vision. You don't change a marriage by working on the other person--you start with yourself. Cultivate virtue, pray daily (even when you have to grind it out), continue to attend Mass and receive the sacraments, teach your children, and yes, evangelize--but with a 'eyes wide open' mentality to the one you are speaking with. Don't sugar coat the crap like they do with those NFP posters. The Christian life is not for wimps; no easy street. This is the attraction, not the deterrent, because anything worth it's weight is hard and costs. 

I have two sons. Would I advise them to go into the priesthood? It's a tough one. God calls, we only respond. If they have the call, I would tell them to think long and hard, pray, and choose wisely. The diocesan seminaries are largely a wasteland, so I would try to steer them towards the FSSP or ICKSP. These seem to be the places where men are going in and coming out with their faith in tact, though they are not immune from the threats. 

Remember, when you stand at the Judgement, you stand alone. So you'd better work on yourself in this life, pray for grace, and have a heaping dose of humility and stubborn perseverance. Other's lack of faith--from the Pope on down--are not your concern. Be the remnant. Own your faith and live it out in spite of the filth. Respect the Chair, but don't put your trust in princes, especially princes of the Church. We need priests (no priests, no Church), but we need good ones who believe and are committed to doing what is necessary to save souls by God's grace in the Sacraments, not apostates and careerists. Only those with grit and bruised knuckles are going to make it out alive. 



8 comments:

  1. Yes! So what I needed to read this morning .This July I will not attend a same sex “ wedding” of my oldest child .
    It hurts to know this choice will no doubt estrange me even more from them . But to attend it is to choose to offend God .
    Standing alone is the only choice . Praying for the courage to not capitulate and give in out of emotional desire to be loved by my child .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therese, you might appreciate this: https://catholicstand.com/cant-attend-wedding-love/

      Delete
  2. Praying for you. This cross seems so prolific. It must be excrutiatingly painful and my heart goes out to you. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not me, my faith is strong. Pray for the seminarian (who wrote the linked to article at 1p5) and all those losing faith in the modern tide being washed out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something I recently heard while participating in a women's mission entitled Ecce Ancilla Domini, "I have important things to do; but it's NOT about me."

    This was just what I needed to read today! Thank you for posting it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! I like the advice not to stand close to the sausage making machine!

    ReplyDelete