Tuesday, October 5, 2021

A Needed Reset

Praise be Jesus Christ. I have been feeling the need to disconnect and have some intentional, 'unplugged' time away to refocus and renew my spiritual life in solitude. Solitude is more of a challenge than a respite, and always has been. But like eating one's vegetables or exercising, I think it good practice to enter into that discomfort for a time to reset. 

A priest friend suggested a hermitage in New York state he spent time at a few years ago. I was grateful he suggested it, as I had no idea it existed. There are only three friars on the remote property. There are a handful of individual hermitages, no running water, outhouses, and you have to chop wood for heat and bring your own food. I hope to lock my phone in the car, and bring a notebook, Bible, and a few spiritual books. I will be there for a few days early next week. Please pray for me that it is a fruitful time of renewal that is not wasted, and pray for my family as well while I am gone. Also, I would appreciate in the comments books you find edifying, or you can contact me via the contact form as well. This is why I am publishing this post now to solicit these titles. 

Thank you, and God bless you.




6 comments:

  1. Wilfrid Stinissen's Into Your Hands, Father: Abandoning Ourselves to the God Who Loves Us (Ignatius Press)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything on surrender and abandonment to God's providence, including one or more from St. Claude de la Colombiere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Abandonment to Divine Providence by Fr Jean Pierre de Caussade is one on my favorites. Also Uniformity With Gods Will by St Alphonsus. Will check out

      Delete
  3. Earthen Vessels: The Practice of Personal Prayer According to the Patristic Tradition, by Gabriel Bunge, OSB
    The Spiritual Life and Prayer, According to Scripture and Monastic Tradition, by Mother Cecile Bruyere, OSB
    Finding God through Meditation, by St. Peter of Alcantara

    ReplyDelete