Saturday, January 7, 2023

Penance Should Come From Love Of God, Not Hatred Of Self

There is a story in the Buddhist world that a Westerner once asked the Dalai Lama "What do you think about self-hatred?" The Dalai Lama was startled by the question, and kept asking his translator what the person meant. Eventually, after a long while of trying to get to the heart of the question, he admitted, “I thought I had a very good acquaintance with the mind, but now I feel quite ignorant. I find this very, very strange.”

As the calendar rolled over to the new year, I was surprised to find myself not only making various resolutions--both corporal and spiritual--but carrying them out. I began taking ice cold showers, exercising in the morning, fasting more often, cutting out caffeine,  and even carrying through on an internal resolution to be more intentional about speaking. I've been to Mass and adoration almost every day this past week. These practices themselves are all fine and good, potentially beneficial, and biblically traditional.

None of that really matters, though, because my motivation in undertaking them is out of alignment with the Divine will. To put this in context, I recounted the words of St. John Cassian in a previous post,

"Self -reform and peace are not achieved through the patience which others show us, but through our own long- suffering towards our neighbor. When we try to escape the struggle for long-suffering by retreating into solitude, those unhealed passions we take there with us are merely hidden, not erased: for unless our passions are first purged, solitude and withdrawal from the world not only foster them but also keep them concealed, no longer allowing us to perceive what passion it is that enslaves us. On the contrary, they impose on us an illusion of virtue and persuade us to believe that we have achieved long-suffering and humility, because there is no one present to provoke and test us. But as soon as something happens which does arouse and challenge us, our hidden and previously unnoticed passions immediately break out like uncontrolled horses that have long been kept unexercised and idle, dragging their driver all the more violently and wildly to destruction. Our passions grow fiercer when left idle through lack of contact with other people. Even that shadow of patience and long-suffering which we thought we possessed while we mixed with our brethren is lost in our isolation through not being exercised.

If then we wish to receive the Lord's blessing we should restrain not only the outward expression of anger, but also angry thoughts. More beneficial than controlling our tongue in a moment of anger and refraining from angry words is purifying our heart from rancor and not harboring malicious thoughts against our brethren. The Gospel teaches us to cut off the roots of our sins and not merely their fruits. When we have dug the root of anger out of our heart, we will no longer act with hatred or envy. 'Whoever hates his brother is a murderer' ( I John 3:15), for he kills him with the hatred in his mind." (pp 85-86)


It is clear that this window dressing of piety (while objectively good) is, in fact, motivated by not only a hatred of self, but of my neighbor.  

Something Thomas a Kempis wrote stayed with me, 

"A fervent religious accepts all the things that are commanded him and does them well, but a negligent and lukewarm religious has trial upon trial, and suffers anguish from every side because he has no consolation within and is forbidden to seek it from without."


This "suffering anguish from every side because he has no consolation within and is forbidden to seek it from without" I have often thought about when I catch myself envying the dead, when each day feels like a punishment to endure rather than a gift to give thanks for. I can't kill myself. And yet I have to go on living. I have no consolation within (peace of spirit, charity) and yet I can't end this suffering prematurely as I would often wish."Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." (Ps 42:11). 

And so, my initial motivation to undertake these various penances is to not only mortify the flesh, but to punish it. Punish my very self for having to exist...for having to keep on living, for not having the grace of being hit by a bus or something. When I do fail to punish my flesh--that is, when I end up eating (ending a three day fast a day early out of weakness), or skip a day of exercise, the cycle of self-hatred perpetuates. The way one talks about a "successful" suicide being one that is carried out--and when one lives, that it is a "failed attempt."

Needless to say, I would better off abandoning it all in favor of charity of neighbor, so that I may love my brother as my self.

 St. Moses the Black had some good insight on the futility of going toe-to-toe with the flesh in this way: "You fast, but Satan does not eat. You labor fervently, but Satan never sleeps. The only dimension with which you can outperform Satan is by acquiring humility, for Satan has no humility.”

Humility, and charity, are severely lacking in my life right now. If these mortifications were motivated by and combined with charity and humility, they would be a powerful force. But as they stand currently, they are nothing but an uncomfortable and resounding gong.

I will continue to exercise and cause discomfort to my body, take the cold showers, fast regularly, hold my tongue...because it is good for my body and my mind. But there is no spiritual merit there at present, and I will not fool myself otherwise. My heart is cold, the well of charity dry. God help me, I long for the respite of death, and death doesn't come. I feel spurned by others, and spurn them myself. I sit in the back pew at church, trying to disappear. I don't know how to love, and I don't know who will teach me. "For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out" (Rom 7:18). 

Charity is the scale of judgment. It is the only thing we exist for as Christians, and the only thing we will be remembered by. Penance is a way to serve charity, not the other way around. 



9 comments:

  1. Excellent, thought-provoking….Truth itself..Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back. I think I’ve already missed a couple of posts since, happily for me, you found you still need to write.

    They say that taking on too many penances can be harmful, opening you up to spiritual torment for your “failures”. Is it possible that this is coming into play for you?

    Your quote from St. John Cassian is so good! Such a reminder that becoming holy is difficult and fraught with traps. We can feel like that makes us failures, or acknowledge that it shows how desperately we need the help of God, and Mary, and of all the angels and saints. Do you find that your penances and prayer schedule cause you to be less patient with your family? Is that pretty much what you’re saying? What do you think St. John’s advice would be if that’s the case?

    You have a wonderful (and often painful) intensity to your personality and temperament. I honestly can’t relate because I’m quite the opposite. But I have a nephew who’s like you. One Lent when he was probably 16 he decided to give up eating. Totally give up eating. As far as I know, he got pretty far into Lent. But he told anyone who would listen that that’s what he was doing. Humility was certainly lacking. I wanted to ask him if he thought God would be impressed with him and love him more because of his unusual level of self-discipline, but I didn’t ask.

    I definitely recommend How to Profit from Our Faults. It presents such a gentle image of Jesus - not unmanly. The book was written a long time ago when men were men, as they say. I think the image it presents is accurate and I know I’d do better if I meditated on that more. I need a new copy. The one I have is highlighted to the hilt.

    So glad you have a strong sense of the fact that suicide is not an option and I hope you’re remembering that you can unite all of the suffering that comes from your intensity and self-disappointment to Jesus’ suffering in the Cross.

    A blessed New Year to you and yours, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I know is that, at least currently, such penance is not leading me towards greater charity, even to my own family. I'm not gruff and grumpy, but my heart is not aflame with love either.

      Ideally these things would be undertaken with direction from a SD, but that is a luxury many of us don't have. That's actually the topic of a near future post, as well.

      St. John Cassian's advice is so astute. I need to meditate on it more. It's a strange season for me now, and I would probably benefit from spiritual direction, but only from someone who knows what they are doing and how to navigate the interior life. I have a lot of past wounds and distrust from bad spiritual direction.

      Would appreciate your prayer. Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully comment.

      Delete
    2. One thing I have been saying lately is...I'm hoping (and trying) to disappear a little bit more every day. Keep hidden things hidden. Crucify the ego. And yet, I can't bury what God seems to be calling me to do in writing here (as much as I try). So, back to the grind (but all for the glory of God).

      Delete
  3. I really like this post! Lot's of good subtle food for thought. A little too honest. I am going to get a snack.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why but this post is very bittersweet. I see how hard you're trying and for whatever reason you don't have consolation that it's "working". I know you struggle as do most of us, to always feel how we should when doing all the right things. Maybe you're in a dark night of the soul, or just the winter blues. Hang in there. And if the only charity you can muster is for your own children and wife, that's more than enough to please the Lord. I do hope your melancholy doesn't keep you from cherishing those precious gifts, and frankly those charges who need you! Thanks for sharing your gifts with us readers. You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete